Favicon.png

By creating purposefully handmade fiber artwork and goods, I seek to enrich the lives of the people around me with unique and beautiful pieces.


Experimenting

Today I decided to try something new. Well, several days ago actually, when I decided to make the hat.
Pierrot Yarns had an adorable hat pattern I wanted to try. I had some white linen I'd been saving for just the right project. Hopefully this was it! I finished the hat last night and decided I didn't want it in white, I wanted it in a bright yellow. One of my many magazines had an article in it on dying with different natural dyes, using everything from tea and coffee to turmeric to beets to blueberries. 
I decided to use curry powder since it contains turmeric and I didn't have any plain turmeric. 
My hat before dying: 

It's a pretty basic cloche shape. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out the chart for the lace brim, so I had to wing it a little. 
First I soaked the hat in tepid (lukewarm) water:
While it was soaking, I boiled a pot of water. When it came to a rolling boil, I added some salt and reduced the heat to medium-low. I dumped the curry powder in and added my hat:
I let it simmer for 20 minutes or so, and now I have to wait until it's completely cooled. I'll have to rinse it under the faucet until all the curry is gone and the water runs clear.  Then I'll blow up a balloon to roughly the size of my head (which is rather large) and let the hat dry on that. 
I'll let you know how it turns out!

Curry Hat

Exciting News!

0